Who said it was impossible to do outdoor activities inside the city..? Probably a lazy negative person. Anyway, it’s summer and if you are looking for some fun while staying active in the city, we have your back. First on our list is Brooklyn Boulders where Fat Moose stopped by to enjoy some indoor rock climbing for the day! The expert rock climbing community there is warm and welcoming, so… We asked them to coach us and collected the best advices to start rock climbing like a pro!
Our 6 tips to start rock climbing like a pro:
- Think about your route before you start anything to avoid getting stuck in a difficult positions. Don’t go mindlessly climbing without having a game plan.
- Use your legs more than your arms. They’re stronger and will allow you to move with more ease and push you further when needed. It is better to use your arms when attempting to be strategic. But remember your legs support all your weight
- Trust your belayer and first and foremost: trust yourself. Climbing is a good way to fight your fears of heights. The best is not look down and to keep an eye on your feet throughout the climb.
- Look forward, focus on the not-yet-reachable holds to evaluate the more secures one. If you have a partner ask them to help you find open pockets.
- Try to keep your body as straight as possible, especially the arms, often forming an X will enable you to climb at your full potential.
- Don’t forget to chill! You can take your time; rock climbing is more about strategy and technique than racing against the clock. If you have a belayer tell them you want to sit back in your harness and have them remove all the tension from the rope, this way you can relax for a bit.
Not only has rock climbing pushed us to our physical potential it also proved to be a challenging mental exercise. We recommend you go check out Brooklyn Boulders to see for yourselves!
Don’t forget to wear your Fat Moose gear!